"Tell me and I will forget, show me and maybe I will remember, include me and I will never forget"
Through adventure activities we challenge participants to get out of their comfort zone and confront the realities of their surroundings in different ways.
Bakongo develops a methodology that seeks to create an environment of peace building. This methodology is based on elements of experiential education and the Glatung theory about the transcend method and conflict transformation.
Galtung part of a theory of conflict that is based on three elements:
- Soften the attitudes through empathy.
- Smooth the behaviors through nonviolence.
- Overcoming the contradictions through creativity.
So the theory of conflict transformation is about:
Empathy + Nonviolence + Creativity
= Conflict Transformation
With our methodology in the camp:
- From diversity, we get an space of fairness and empathy.
- We create an environment where from the strengthening of values, we influence positive changes in attitudes and behaviors of participants to reach a state of nonviolence.
- We Got that Bakongo (micro space) participants are recognized as people with creative ability, to achieve back to camp to put this creativity to serve their communities and provide solutions to the dynamics of conflict.
- From the above factors we have an environment of peace building during the camp, which began to be agents of change for peace and development.
Through our methodology we get:
- Create a learning process that promotes values and principles through play and respect for cultural diversity, social justice, effective conflict resolution and peace as an alternative to violence.
- Provide tools recreation to the participants that can be used in their communities as an alternative way to spend your free time.
- Awakening in children the desire to create positive experiences in their communities leading to social change.
- Provide a space in which young people find the way to participate in civic and social processes.
- Involve the entire community (family, students, volunteers, entrepreneurs, academics) in the task of supporting new young leaders, so they can generate solutions to problems in society that affect peace building and the transformation of the country.
¿What is Education through Experience?
“Process through which knowledge, abilities, attitudes and values are built through direct experience.”
Education Through Experience aims to turn participants into characters in their own learning story, confronting them with situations in which they must take responsibility of what they are doing in order to achieve a goal. Motivated by reflection, awareness building and personal and interpersonal discovery, the method results in extremely high levels of recollection, ability to compromise and opportunities to directly apply learning to everyday life.